Goodbody Fund Management (GFM)
GFM acts as the Alternative Investment Fund Manager (AIFM) on behalf of Alternative Investment Funds (AIFs) that wish to outsource their requirements under the Alternative Investment Fund Management Directive (AIFMD). Our clients choose us due to our highly experienced team and our ability to deliver services in a way that suits them and their needs, while also ensuring compliance with the Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive (AIFMD). GFM was authorised as an Alternative Investment Fund Manager in July 2014 and focuses on the provision of services to Qualified Investor Alternative Investment Funds (QIAIFs) and other AIFs investing in alternative assets.
Why clients choose us?
AIFM services provided by GFM are tailored to the requirements of QIAIFs, their shareholders and advisers. The final proposition is a bespoke service delivered in a regulated environment.
We discuss each client’s particular service requirements with them and typically provide some or all of the following services:
- Third party AIFM service to EU & Non EU domiciled funds.
- Discretionary investment management service through our group partner, Goodbody Stockbrokers.
- Sourcing of all service providers required to establish a QIAIF.
- Provision of the marketing passport allowing the EU QIAIF be marketed in the EU.
- Distribution of AIFs within a limited number of EU jurisdictions.
Qualifying Investor Alternative Investment Funds (QIAIFs) are flexible, tax efficient fund structures regulated by an EU Regulator. They can be structured in many ways including as an ICAV, PLC, CCF, Limited Partnership, SICAR or SICAV. Under the Alternative Investment Fund Management Directive (AIFMD), QIAIFs are required to operate a self-managed AIFM model, or to appoint an Alternative Investment Fund Manager (AIFM) who is responsible for the provision of portfolio management and risk management services and for fund governance. Goodbody Fund Management, in conjunction with its authorised Investment Manager, Goodbody Stockbrokers, provides such services to QIAIFs. Goodbody Fund Management can provide AIFM and Investment Manager services to Alternative Investment Funds across a broad range of alternative asset classes such as real estate, private equity, aviation and forestry.
Where GFM is engaged as AIFM, we take on responsibility for certain management functions as set out in legislation including:
- Risk management
- Investment management
- Regulatory Compliance
- Distribution (where appropriate)
Benefits to QIAIFs considering outsourcing AIFM requirements
- Experience -our team brings extensive insight in designing optimal structures and interacting with third parties, which can ensure quick and effective fund launches. As an established fund manager we have the depth of expertise and capacity to draw on senior resources in all areas of our business to support managing assets and funds on behalf of QIAIFs.
- Speed to market - Because of our strong relationships with other providers as well as our knowledge and experience around optimal structures – we can ensure a quick and efficient fund launch.
- Cost effectiveness - For many QIAIFs, employing a Central Bank of Ireland authorised third party is a cost effective solution when compared with a self-managed alternative.
- Strength & substance: As one of the largest investment houses in Ireland, Goodbody is not only an authorised investment firm, we also bring extensive experience in managing regulated processes and have a strong understanding of risk.